Post-Show Drinks, a musical theatre podcast showcasing actors from the West End and beyond.
In this episode, Connor and Catherine sit down with Laura Tyrer, who recently played the role of Velma Kelly in Chicago at the Phoenix Theatre in London’s West End.
Laura tells us how she got into musical theatre, about her time at the London Studio Centre as well as playing the role of Sally Bowels in Cabaret. Listen to this episode to find out about the key tips and tricks of playing the role of Velma Kelly!
Listen to the episode below or subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.
0:00 – 4:07 – Where did it all begin? From Amateur Dramatics in Southport to London Studio Centre.
- 4:08 – 6:54 – Seeing the Phantom Of The Opera in London’s West End but only seeing half the show!
- 6:55 – 14:10 – Feel the fear and do it anyway! Advice to students especially at the end of year showcases, to speaking to agents and being a good company member.
- 14:11 – 16:49 – Chicago the tour to The Garrick Theatre and recently playing Velma in Chicago in London’s West End. Beginning with the moment she got the call to join the show.
- 16:50 – 19:09 – Being told at Warm-Up your going on for Sally Bowels in Cabaret at the Savoy Theatre.
- 19:10 – 22:49 – Playing Velma Kelly at the Phoenix Theatre and waiting in the lift waiting to go up for lift for All That Jazz. As well as the perfect advice from Josefina Gabrielle about getting ready for Velma’s special number.
- 22:50 – 32:59 – Going into auditions and Laura’s experiences – remember to always thank the audition pianist!
- 33:00 -34:53 – When Laura released she was the person creating the music on stage.
- 34:54 – 35:56 – How would Laura sum up her career so far?